Friday, April 15, 2005

Tell it on the mountains

balkon


I’ve never seen the Alps. Well I have now. I spend Easter in Interlaken in Switzerland.

I stayed at the magnificent “Victoria Jungfrau Grand Hotel” – I had a small balcony and a view of the Jungfrau Massif.

The hotel made it to the top 5 of my all time favorite hotels. A wonderful Victorian structure – beautifully kept, nice staff, good restaurants and an amazing spa.

For the first time in my life I had a spa treatment – a body wrap – and it was an hour in heaven. Yes it’s up close and personal, but it’s also very soothing and refreshing.

It was not enough for me to look at the Alps, I had to go up there. From Interlaken there’s a trainride to Jungfraujoch at 3571 m.

It’s a surprisingly expensive trip, but it takes all day and takes you through stunning scenery and if you like trains then the different trains you ride will be a true experience.

My whole trip had a very old world charm to it. And it’s not really surprising – Interlaken was the first place that Thomas Cook took the first British tourists outside of the British Isles.

It does feel a bit like walking in the footsteps of Byron, Longfellow, Brahms and Wagner to visit Interlaken.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Romey said...

Brava Darling!! Looking forward to sharing adventures with you. ;)

11:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home