Friday, January 13, 2006

Amazing design in Hamburg

Looking into room from futuristic bathroom
I’ve never stayed in a hotel before, where the toilet resembles nothing so much as the out door loo a cabin my parents once hired in Norway had.

They are called utedass – and are just a square box with a toilet seat fitted on. You don’t want to know what is in the box.

My room at Side hotel in Hamburg has a loo exactly like that – except it does flush.

This room is not for timid people slowly getting to know one another. The bathroom and the toilet have opaque sliding glass doors. Hard to soundproof glass ;)

Visually it’s stunning – I’m not impressed with the functionality of said toilet but everything else is amazing.

The water falls from the sky when you turn on the huge showerhead mounted in the ceiling over the bath.

The closets look like to fridges and everything is wood or muted earth tones.

Before booking I read some mixed reviews – about the staff not being warm and caring enough. I wonder if it’s the cultural divide between the US and Europe. The staff is perfectly nice and helpful, but they do not ask for your life story or expect to be your future friend.

I will definitely stay here again. The location is great too, and the breakfast buffet was an LC dream with lot’s of fish, ham, sausage and scrambled eggs cooked to perfection.

Now let me get started on the spa. Considering the price of square footage in any big city now a days, it’s to be commended that they have put in a pool of the size they have. It’s at least 15 meters long, which means it’s possible to get a good swim in. I’ve attempted this in smaller oval shaped hotel pools where I almost got seasick from constantly changing direction.

The pool area is like I imagine it’s like inside an Apple Ipod.

Über trendy, with bright blues, yellows and greens. There’s a whirlpool, a sauna and a steam bath close to the pool, also a small exercise room with thread mills and stuff like that.

Inside the marble walled steam bath tiny lights poking out of the natural holes and groves in the stone change color in a soothing pattern.

It’s quite simply a place to loose yourself in.

2 Comments:

Blogger RomeyDuck said...

I SSOOOO want to use that shower and the right side with the fluffy pillow is mine. ; )

1:27 AM  
Blogger bobo t clown said...

oooh, I found your blog! I've been trying to load it for hours!
I'm going to have a nice cup of tea and read it all morning.
Hope you're having a great time.

p'jas

5:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home